Monday 4 January 2010

Hiatus


From dictionary.com;
–noun, plural -tus⋅es, -tus.
1.a break or interruption in the continuity of a work, series, action, etc.
2.a missing part; gap or lacuna: Scholars attempted to account for the hiatus in the medieval manuscript.
3.any gap or opening.
4.Grammar, Prosodythe coming together, with or without break or slight pause, and without contraction, of two vowels in successive words or syllables, as in see easily.
5.Anatomya natural fissure, cleft, or foramen in a bone or other structure.
Origin: 
1555–65; < L hiātus opening, gap, equiv. to hiā(re) to gape, open + -tus suffix of v. action


hi⋅a⋅tal, adjective


3. break, interval, space.

I have rather a lot on my plate until next week (exciting but stressful things going on) so have been forced to put blogging on the back burner. On the plus side this gives me some time to find new things to post about. On the other hand I am too busy to trawl the internet looking for ideas. 
I promise than normal service will resume shortly. I know I said that when I went to India and it hasn't happened yet, but it will. 

3 comments:

  1. Very good English, really appreciative and interesting all here. All classes are repeated here... Thanks.

    r4 dsi

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one who has had a month's hiatus from blogging, I know where you're coming from. But don't be gone too long - we'll miss you.

    Incidentally, have you seen Colin McDowell's blog? it's terrific.

    ReplyDelete